Avonwick is a village in the county of Devon, England. It is within the parish of North Huish which had a population of 360 in the 2001 census. The River Avon runs through the village - its name derives from 'avon' meaning river, and 'wick' an old word for village, but it was not so named until the 1870s, previously being known as Newhouse.
Avonwick has rapidly grown in size over the last few years with two developments. The village contains one of only a few proprietary chapels remaining in the country, a restaurant, a pub, one of the oldest lawn tennis clubs in the world, a garage and a small shop.
Avonwick railway station opened in 1893 about half a mile outside the village, but closed in 1963.Visit our website