In the Year 1824

1824;

January;     The “Dart: sailed from Salcombe bound to Portsmouth laden with sheep and

Bullocks, lost in voyage supposed to be upset. William Bath, Master and William

Cranch  drowned.

Feb  6th;     Roger Prettijohn Master of the Sloop “Hero” of this place was drowned at Dublin.

March  ;;      A barge belonging to Billing of Devonport upset in Salcombe Bar, she was bound

to Dartmouth laden with timber, tar and provisions. Was towed in the Harbour

and proceeded on her voyage. The people that assisted in re-floating her received

no reward.

April 16th;   A fire broke out at Mr Jarvis’s Knowle which burnt down the Barn of Corn and

outhouses.

May        ;   Thomas Luckham was sent to Exeter Gaol.

October   ;  The “Shamrock”  Sloop of War came in this Harbour.

November 23rd;  It blew a heavy gale of wind to the Southward, we had the highest tide at

Salcombe that was ever remembered by the Oldest inhabitant, sweeping

everything off the Quays. Two vessels wrecked off the Start, one driven on shore

in Bigbury Bay, great damage done at Plymouth and all along the Coast.

White’s Directory, 1850

MALBOROUGH

Transcribed from William White’s History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

MALBOROUGH is a small village, on an eminence, partly in West Alvington parish, about two miles from Salcombe Haven, and four miles S.S.W. of Kingsbridge.Its parish contains 1951 inhabitants, and 4890 acres of land, bounded on the south side by the English Channel, between Bolt Head and Tail, and including the small hamlets of Coombe, Collaton, Rew, Bolbury, Batson, and Shadycombe; and the small town, sea-port, fishing station, and chapelry of SALCOMBE, which is pleasantly and picturesquely situated on the western side of the estuary, which runs up to Kingsbridge, and sends several creeks from either side. Salcombe has now about 1500 inhabitants, though it had only 972 in 1841. It is considered the warmest place on the south-west coast, as oranges, lemons, and American aloes bloom in the open air, in the pleasure grounds of Woodville and the Moult. To the lovers of coast scenery, there are many wild and romantic spots between Prawle Point on the east, and Bigbury Bay on the west. Salcombe is a port under Dartmouth, and has a custom house, built in 1848; a coast guard station; a market-house, with a public room over it, erected in 1848, at the cost of £600; a shipping insurance association, established in 1831; three ship building yards, many good shops and neat houses, and several handsome marine villas. It is the out-port of Kingsbridge, to which passenger boats ply daily. The haven has safe anchorage for about 200 ships, and vessels of 200 tons go up to Kingsbridge. It is often used as a harbour of refuge, and foreign vessels sometimes land their mail bags here. The number of vessels which entered with cargoes in 1848 was 355, equal to 16,723 tons, and the number which took cargoes out in the same year was 211, of the aggregate amount of 7268 tons. The imports are chiefly coal, culm, groceries, foreign fruit, &c.; and many of the vessels built here are employed in bringing fruit, etc., from the Mediterranean, for which trade they are admirably adapted. The exports are corn, flour, malt, cider, potatoes, slate, &c. Crabs, lobsters, and other fish are caught here. The entrance to the harbour is protected on the west by the bold rocky promontory of Bolt Head, and on the east by that of Prawle Point. The sea cliffs rise in rocky grandeur westward from Bolt Head, varying in height from 50 to upwards of 400 feet. Between Bolt Head and Salcombe, in the haven mouth, are two coves, where the trees of a submerged forest are found under the sands at a depth of two to three feet, and perfect hazel leaves and nuts have sometimes been dug up. The Earl of Devon, who holds a court of admiralty for an extensive line of the coast, is lord of the manors of Malborough, Salcombe, Ilton, East Sewer, Bolbury, Batson, Collaton-Prawle, Hope, &c., but part of the parish belongs to W. R. Ilbert., Esq., Miss Hawkins, A. Pinwell, Esq., Miss Burnell, Mr. Bastard, J. Netherton, Esq., Miss Spencer, and several smaller owners. Ilton had a castellated mansion, built by Sir John Chiverston, in 1335, and of which there are still some slight vestiges. The Earl of Devon’s estates were passed to his family from the founder of this embattled mansion. SALCOMBE CASTLE was a strong fort, built for the defence of the harbour, about a quarter of a mile below the town, upon a rock which is insulated at high water, and sheltered behind by lofty rocky cliffs. There are still large remains of this bulwark, and the walls of the north-west angle are forty feet high, and about six feet thick. At the commencement of the civil wars of the 17th century, this castle was repaired at the cost of £3000, and Sir Edmund Fortescue was appointed governor for the King. After having sustained two other sieges, it was summoned by General Fairfax, on the 23rd of January, 1645, and after a siege of nearly four months, it surrendered on honourable terms to Colonel Wheldon, governor of Plymouth; the garrison being allowed to march with their governor to his mansion at Fallapit, where the castle key is still preserved. RINGRONE, a handsome modern villa, with gardens extended on terraces into the estuary, is the occasional seat of Lord Kinsale, of Ireland, whose other titles are Baron De Courcy and Baron of Ringrone. About a mile below Salcombe is the Moult, the beautiful marine residence of Viscount Courtenay, (the Earl of Devon’s eldest son,) picturesquely situated on the headland between the two coves, with charming walks on the slopes of the rocks. The house is in the Elizabethan style, and was commenced in 1764, by the late A. Hawkins, Esq., and sold to S. Strode, Esq., in 1785. Horsecombe estate has been held for some centuries by the Fairweather family, and is said to have been given to one of them by the Conqueror. Salcombe has a fair for pleasure, toys, &c., on Whit-Tuesday. Malborough Church is a large ancient structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower containing six bells, and crowned by a spire, which may be seen at a great distance. The interior is spacious and handsome, and has an elegant white marble monument, in memory of the late Lord Kinsale. The nave was repaired in 1844, and in some of the windows the stone mullions have been replaced with wood. In the chancel are the remains of a very handsome sedilia, which was partly taken down when the south aisle was extended. The benefice is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of West Alvington. The tithes were commuted in 1841, the vicarial for £340. 3s., and the rectorial for £581. 16s. per annum. Of the latter £482. 6s. belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury; £98, under the name of Merrydale, belongs to W. R. Ilbert, Esq.; and £1. 10s. belongs to the Earl of Devon, as the Paul or Pol portion. The old Chapel at Salcombe, which was licensed by the bishop in 1401, had been gone to decay some centuries in 1801, when it was rebuilt, chiefly at the expense of John Yates, Esq., of Woodville. It was afterwards augmented with Queen Anne’s Bounty, but being too small for the greatly increased population, it has given place to Salcombe District Church (Holy Trinity,) a handsome fabric, in the lancet style of the 13th century, erected by subscription and grants in 1843, at the cost of £2605. It has a tower and bell. The interior is elegantly fitted up, and the east window is enriched with stained lass, given by Viscount Courtenay. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the vicar of West Alvington, and the incumbency of the Rev. Geo. Willcock. There is a small Baptist Chapel at Malborough, and a small Wesleyan Chapel at Salcombe, the latter built in 1849. The National School at Salcombe was erected in 1847, at the cost of £300, and has about 200 scholars. The Parish Lands, &c., comprise more than twenty small tenements, let for only about £30 a year, and mostly given by Alice Bayning and Rd. Dyer, in the 16th and 18th centuries. The income is expended on the church and poor, except £3 to the master of the parish school, which was given by Richard Dyer, in 1730.

DIRECTORY

The POST-OFFICES are at Edw. Cole’s, Salcombe; and Jane Moore’s, Malborough. Those marked 2 are at Malborough, and the rest at Salcombe, or where specified.Adams Mr Rd., South Down

Andrews John, currier, &c

Ball Mrs Catherine, Baker’s Well

Ball Edward, druggist, &c

Cole Edward, carver, turner, &c

Cossins Wm. Hy., custom hs. officer

Courtenay Viscount, The Moult

Evans Rev. ____ (Baptist minister)

Hawkins Miss Hntta. H., Alston

Honey Wm. Ts. regr., Shadycombe

Kinsale Lord, Ringrone (& Ireland)

Mason Wilfred, gentleman

Morritt Capt. Geo., R.N., coast guard

Murray Rev. _____, curate

Pinwall Andw., Esq. Mount Knowle

Pirie Alexander, gent. Ringrone

Prideaux Mrs Sarah, Cliff House

Russell E. S. & R. milliners

Turner Rev Geo. Rd., curate, Snapes

Weymouth Miss Catherine, Perrott’s

White Mr John, Higher Batson

Willcock Rev Geo. incbt. of Salcombe

FARMERS.

Adams George, Higher Collaton

Adams Nichls., Rew, & N. jun. Ilton

Adams T., Clark’s, & W. My. Knoll

Adams Richard, Lower Rew

Balkwill Rd., Yard, & R. jun, Ilton

Fairweather James, Horsecombe

Fairweather J. & J., H. & L. Sewer

Ford Jno. & Rd., S. & Furze Down

Ford Wm., Higher Collaton

Hodder George, Portlemoor

Jarvis Elliott, Weston Down

Jarvis Sml., Ilton, & Jno., Collaton

Jarvis Thos. Adams, Bolbury

Jarvis John, jun. Lodgehill

Lakeman James, Batson Hall

2 Lidstone R. J.

(Lidstone) Wm., Newhs.

Lindon Richard Snapes

Pepperell Robert, Beadon

2 Smith Ts.

Stranger Rt., Alston

Thorning Thomas, Coombe

Tutley Jph., Batson

Weymouth Adams, Weymouth’s

Weymouth Wm., Higher Lincombe

2 White Rd.

Woods James, Shadycombe

INNS & TAVERNS.

Commercial, Ann Ingram

Crown and Anchor, Wm. Rich

King’s Arms, Amelia Reeve

2 Old Inn, Jane Moore

Plymouth Inn, Wm. Easton

2 Stag, Joseph Jarvis

Union, Wm. Trenick

Victoria, Mary Dawe

BAKERS.

Chapman Henry

Cove Philip

Frink James

Prowse James

Vivian Wm.

BLACKSMITHS.

2 Hine Philip

Thorning Hrs.

Whiddon George

Wills Wm.

BLOCK & PUMP MAKERS.

Cousins Thos.

Patey Wm.

BUTCHERS.

Hannaford Wm.

Harvey Thomas

Hine Henry

Manning George

CARPENTERS.

Cole Edw. jun

Hannaford Jph.

Patey Wm.

Thorning Thos.

COAL DEALERS.

Ball James

Chant John

Narramore Jno.

Pearce Sml. (and stationer)

COOPERS.

Dawe Richard

Edwards John

DRAPERS.

Brooking Har.

Hill Thos. R.

Jarvis Wm. P.

Wotton Betsy (& druggist)

MALTSTERS.

Lindon Richard

Strong Henry (& insnce. agent)

White Mr

MASONS.

Chapmen Wm.

Steer George

MILLERS.

Ackrill Sarah

Adams Robert

Thorning J. (Exs. of) Blanks

MR. MARINERS.

Adams Wm.

Adams John

Anthony Mr

Ball JamesBall Thomas

Ball Wm.

Cleverley Thomas

Cleverley Stn.

Cove Philip

Cove Wm.

Cowling John

Crispin George

Crispin Thoms.

Crocker Henry

Dawe John

Forbes Wm.

Frink James

Frink Wm.

Gifford John

Hannaford John

Hardy Wm.

Harris Frederick

Harris Thomas

Hill John

Hill Frederick

Hingston Wm.

Hornden John & E. (fishg. smks)

Ingram John

Jarvis Peter

Jarvis John

Jarvis Wm.

Jarvis Edward

King Wm.

Lapthorn Rd.

Lapthorne Benj.

Long Samuel

May Wm.

May Thomas

Moore John

Norman T. J.

Osborne John

Osborne Wm.

Partridge John

Peek Charles

Pinwell John

Quick Edward

Quick Wm.

Randle Wm.

Russell James

Shears Wm.

Sladen Thos.

Strong James

Tolcher Joseph

Vincent Wm.

Vivian Philip

Wakeham Richd.

Weeks Samuel

Wills George

Wills Wm.

Yabsley Natl.

Yabsley Joshua

Yeoman Wm.

PAINTERS, &c.

Port George

Steer John

Steer Thomas

SAIL MAKERS.

Jarvis Jonathan

Partridge Thos.

Thorning Wm.

SCHOOLS.

Gillard Mrs

Jarvis Wm.

Lakeman Sarah

2 Pearse Hy. S.

Prowse James

Weymouth Mrs

SHIP BROKERS.

Cook Thos. (& insnce. agent)

Dawe Richard

SHIP BUILDERS.

Bunker Wm.

Evans John

Vivian James

SHOPKEEPERS.

Chapman Henry

Chapman Mary

Edwards Wm.

Evans Honor

Hicks Richard

Jarvis Josiah

Jarvis Joseph

2 Jarvis _____

Pearse Samuel

2 Prowse Edwd.

Sladen Rd. H.

Thorning Wm.

Vivian Sarah

Vivian Wm.

SHOEMAKERS.

Chadder James

Cole John

Cole Joel

Crocker John

Jarvis George

Jarvis John

May George

Port Frederick

TAILORS.

Cole John S.

Cole Samuel

Hext Richard

Jarvis Joseph

Port Charles

Sladen John H.

TINNERS AND IRONMONGERS.

Efford Robert (& plumber)

Jennings Wm.

Rendle Thos.

WINE & SP. MERTS.

Ball E. and Co

Dawe Mary

BOATS

daily to Kingsbdg.

Last updated 12 Feb 2006 – Brian Randell.

Return to top of page

White’s Directory – Salcombe 1878

White’s Directory – Salcombe 1878

Adams Nicholas, farmer, Higher Batson Adams Robert, master mariner, 8 Courtenay place

Adams Samuel, master mariner, First place

Andrews, Lieut.-Colonel Mottram, Sandringham

Appledore Joseph, master mariner, 3 Courtenay road

 

Arundel Mrs Rhoda, grocer and earthenware dealer, 3 Courtenay place

Baker George, farmer, Snapes

Balfour-Ogilvy Walter, inspecting officer of Salcombe division of Coastguards,Powderham villas

Ball Mrs Betsy, draper, 2 Victoria place

Ball Edward, shopkeeper, Orestone

Ball Mrs Hannah, boot and shoe maker, Orestone

Ball Mr John, 1 Courtenay terrace

Ball Joseph, lodgings, 1 Somerset villas

Ball Mrs Susan, Trist’s place. Fore street

Ball Thomas, master mariner, 4 Magdala cottages

Bartlett John, master mariner. Church hill

Bennett Mr, Shadycombe

Bertram Mr, Buckley

Birdwood General William Ilbert, Woodcot

Brown Mrs Jane, laundress, Church road

Brown Robert, farmer and dairyman, Shadycombe

Brown Rev W. Bevill, curate, Grafton

Browse Robert, tailor

Chant Mrs Catherine, victualler. Victoria Inn, Lower Batson

Chapman Mrs Ann, Church street

Chapman Edward, house decorator & stationer, Lower st

Chapman Henry, mason, Buckley

Cheffer Mr William Francis, Bakers Well

Clark William, baker and shopkeeper, Lower Batson

Coad Samuel, master. National school

Coastguard Station, Orestone; T. Jenkins, chief boatman

Cole Miss Anna, victualler. Commercial Inn, Orestone

Cole Edward, builder and postmaster, Buckley

Cole Edward, shopkeeper, Fore street

Cole Mrs Emma Jane, National school mistress, Buckley

Cole James, boot and shoe maker, and Mrs Ann Jane, baker. Lower street

Cole John, stone mason, and Mrs Emma Jane, National schoolmibtress, Buckley

Cole Mrs Eosamond, Natl, infant schlmistress, Courtenay Place

Cook James Wilmot, greengrocer, Market street

Cook Eobert, master mariner. Custom House quay

Cook Mr William, Brick house

Cousins Thomas, carpenter and blockmaker, Elliot’s court

Cove Edward, master mariner, 2 Courtenay place

Cove Mrs Mary, Market street

Cove Thomas, draper. Lower street

Cove William, master mariner, Courtenay street

Cranch James, master mariner, 5 Magdala cottages

Custom House; Wm. H. Webb, principal officer

Dare Edwin, shopkeeper, Lower street

Date William, master mariner, 2 Colaba terrace

Devon Artillery Volunteers (10th), headquarters. Town Hall ; Wm. H. Webb, capt. ; Wm. Lee, drill instructor

Devon, Earl of, The Mount ; and Powderham

Dornom Wm. Gast, ironmonger. Lower street

Dornom George, master mariner, Courtenay place

Douglas Mrs Sarah, Cliff house., & 23 Blandford sq. London

Elliott Eobert, farmer. Higher Batson

Evans Mrs, victualler. Shipwrights’ Arms, Fore street

Evans Mrs Elizabeth, grcr. & earthenware dealer. King st

Evans William, draper. Fore street

Fairweather James, printer, bookseller, and stationer, Ringmore house, Courtenay street

Fairweather Mrs Jemima, baker & shopkeeper. Union st

Field Thomas, butcher. Lower street

Fitzwalter Eobert Henry, master mariner, 1 Victoria Place

Foale Eobert, pilot. Union street

Forbes Mrs Ann, victualler, Victoria Inn, Lower street

Forbes Thomas, master mariner, 9 Courtenay place

Ford John, farmer. Lower Batson

Friend William, master mariner, Orestone

Garner John, master mariner, 3 Magdala cottages

Goodyear Eichd. master mariner, The Elms, Courtenay rd

Goodyear William, master mariner, Victoria place

Goss Mr, Church hill

Gunn John, master mariner, 4 Colaba terrace

Hannaford Mrs Elizabeth, shopketeper, Valentine place

Hannaford Mr John, Orestone

Hannaford Mr John, Hanger mill

Hannaford Mr William, Union street

Hannaford William Samuel, butcher, Union street

Hardey Thomas Martin, master mariner, 16 Courtenay place

Harding Charles Augustus, master mariner, 11 Church st

Harding John, master mariner, Fore street

Harnden Mr Edwin, Island

Harnden Edwin, jun. master mariner, 1 Church street

Harnden Eredk. coal mort. & victualler. King’s Arms, Lower st

Harnden Henry, shipbuilder ; Island

Harnden Marcus, master mariner, 7 Church street

Heath Mrs Harriet, laundress, Fore street

Hicks Richard, tailor and outfitter. Union street

Hill Frederick, master mariner, Lily villas

Hill John Hurrell, shipowner, Powderham villas

Hooppell John, boot and shoe maker, King’s Arms quay

Huxham John, blacksmith, 2 Chapel street

Ingram Mr John, 5 Courtenay place

Jarvis Albert, master mariner, Courtenay road

Jarvis Albert Wm, draper, Fore Street

Jarvis George, boot and shoe maker. Market street

Jarvis John, tailor, King’s Arms quay

Jarvis Joseph, grocer, Harvey’s row

Jarvis Nathaniel, master mariner, 4 Courtenay place

Jarvis Richard, pilot, Orestone

Jarvis Thomas, stationer and toy and fancy dealer, King’s Arms quay

Jellard Mrs Ann, Lily villas

Jellard Mrs Ann Rebecca, draper, Lower street

Jenkins T. chief boatman, Coastguard station ; 1 Magdala cottages

Kelly Rev Maitland, M.A. vicar

King Robert, master mariner, Victoria place

King William, master mariner, Island

Kinsale Dowager Lady, 2 Fountain villas

Lamble John, boot and shoe maker, Union street

Langworthy J. M. S. surgeon. The Knoll

Lapthorn Mrs Jane, lodgings, 2 Devon villas

Leaman M. mariner, The Quay

Lee AVilliam drill instructor (10th D. A. V.), Oreston

Luckham James, master mariner, Courtenay road

Luckham Mrs Susannah, baker, Courtenay street

Manning John, shipwright. Island

March Nicholas, water carrier. Union street

Masters Aaron, farmer, Torhill

Masters John, master mariner, 1 Colaba terrace

May Mrs Fanny grocer (Port & M) ; Lower street

May John, master. Reindeer, Buckley

May Mr Thomas, 13 Courtenay place

Moore Thomas, grocer. Lower street

Murch William Henry, farmer, Higher Batson

Newton Charles Edward Cadogan, Walton Leigh

Osborn John, ironmonger and coal merchant. Union st

Partridge Thos. sailmaker & photographer, Rock Park villas

Partridge Thomas, master mariner, 1 Church street

Partridge Miss,Motlier Hill

Patey James, joiner and undertaker, Orestone

Patey — , master mariner, 15 Courtenay place

Pearce Anthony Goodridge, grocer, agent for Gilbey’s wines. Fore st. W. Pearce, mngr

Pearce Samuel, coal merchant, 2 Fouutain villas

Pearce William, manager. Fore street

Peekins Mr John, The Elms, Courtenay road

Penwill Thomas, master mariner, 7 Courtenay place

Pepperell Edmund, master mariner, 12 Courtenay place

Pepperell James, farmer, Beadon

Pepperell John, master mariner, Courtenay street

Pepperell Mrs, ginger beer manufacturer, Knowle

Pepperell AVilliam, shopkeeper, Buckley

Port Miss Mary (P. & May); Port & May, grocers. Lower street

Prowse William, master mariner, 4 Chapel street

Putt Thomas, tailor, Lower street ;

Quick Mr Edward, 2 Courtenay terrace

Reeves James, master mariner, 2 Courtenay road

Roach C. W. master mariner, Courtenay street

Roberts Richard Eggboer, master mariner, 10 Courtenay place

Russell Misses Eliz., Ann, & Rebecca, lodgings, Lower st

Ryder Edward, shipsmith, Fore street

Salcombe Gas Company Gas Co. ;Samuel Pearce, secretary

Salcomhe Lifeboat House, South sands (branch of Royal National Lifeboat Institution) ; Wm.H. Webb, hon. sec.

Saunders Thomas, coal, salt, and firewood dealer, Russell’s court ;

Saunders Thos. jun. ship builder, & draper, Union street

Shepherd Nathaniel, baker & grocer, Union street

Sherriflf William master mariner, 4 Courtenay road

Skinner William Henry, ironmonger, Union street

Sladen John, master mariner, 1 Courtenay road

Sladen John Heath, tailor. Union street

Sladen Richard Heath, shipowner, 4 Courtenay terrace

Sproule Captain, Rock Park villas

Steer James, master mariner, Island

Steer William, shipowner, 3 Courtenay terrace

Stevens John, cooper, & refreshment house, Union street

Stone Samuel, tailor. Union street Stumbles Alban, boot & shoo maker, & haberdashery, Courtenay street

Stumbles James, mason, Island

Sturc Albert William, taxidermist, & boot & shoe deale: Orestone ;

Sture Mr Richard William, 14 Courtenay place

Sture Thomas Hicks, painter & glazier, 3 Church street

Symons Mrs Sarah, shopkeeper. Island

Thomas Wm. watch & clock maker. Lower st. ;

Thorning William, sail maker, Island

Tolcher Adams, master mariner, Valentine place

Trinick Henry, master mariner, Courtenay street

Trinick John, boat builder, Courtenay street

\Trinick John, master mariner, Knowle

Trinick Mrs Maria Eliz. victualler. Union Inn, Union street

Trinick Peter, master mariner, Island house

Turner The Misses, Armidale

Twitchell Mr Walter, 3 Colaba terrace

Vincent Mr James Pridham, 1 Devon villas

Vincent Mr William, 4 Church street

Vivian Mrs Diana, draper & outfitter. King street

Vivian James, master mariner, 6 Church street

Vivian John, butcher. Island

Vivian William, farmer & dairyman, Shadycombe

Watson Rev Joseph (Wesleyan), 5 Church street

Webb William Henry, principal officer H.M. Customs, registrar of shipping, & honorary secretary to Salcombe branch of Royal National Lifeboat Instn. 8 Church st

Welfare Mr James, Knowle

West Christopher, shopkeeper & baker, Higher Batson

Weymouth Francis, master mariner, Courtenay street

Weymouth James, ftirmer. Higher Lincombe

Weymouth John Kerswell, miller & farmer. Southern mills

Weymouth Mr William, Perrotts, Batson

Whiddon George Elliott, ship & anchor smith. Fore street

White Mrs Catherine, 9 Church street

Wood Mr James, 2 Somerset villas

Wood John, baker, Island

Wood William, baker. Island

Yeoman Thomas, farmer, Higher Batson

Yeoman Wm.Hamblyn, bkr. & cnfctnr.Union st. ;

Water Conveyance — Steam boat to and from Plymouth ;steam boat to and from Kingshridge, twice every weekday, according to tide. Nicholas March: to and from Kingsbridge every week day.