Chillington is a long ‘ribbon’ developed village situated between Frogmore and Stokenham along the A379. Most of the development is post war and it has a good ‘mix’ of residents both locals and ‘incomers’.
Chillington has a long history going back to Saxon times. When Countess Gytha married Earl Godwin in 1018 her brother-in-law King Canute granted her his Royal Estate of Cadelintone (Chillington); this embraced all the land area from the Kingsbridge Estuary to the river Dart. This was in fact the Saxon Chillington Hundred–100 settlements each settlement was a ‘hide’ of land. Chillington was created a’ borough’ in the 12th century and in 1218 a Royal Licence was granted to Chillington to operate a weekly market. The market did not prosper and Chillington reverted to an ordinary village; Stokenham settlement which had a church became more important and a manor in 1185.
Chillington in 1300 had a leper hospital located near Well Farm approached via. Clapper Lane, so called because lepers had to signal their approach by clapping two wooden plates together.
Today Chillington enjoys excellent facilities, a modern health centre, public house, village hall, playing field, post office/general store, butchers, garage, hair dressing salon and a pottery. These make it one of the most ‘complete’ villages not only in the parish but maybe in the South Hams.Visit our website