The Island Cruising Club was formed in 1951 in Salcombe, Devon, by John Baylay. He was joined in the early days by his wife and a small group of friends who funded and organised the acquisition and usage of a fleet of classic yachts. The membership of the club grew to a maximum of around 1,500 sailors in the 1980’s and required the establishment of a dinghy training facility to teach basic sailing skills. The current clubhouse is Egremont, a former Mersey ferry, which has been converted to provide accommodation and refreshments for members and students. In 2011, the Club decided to separate the running and upkeep of Egremont, the dinghy training facility, and the members club into three distinct entities.