West Alvington stands boldly on top of a hill with commanding views towards Kingsbridge and the sea. This site dertermined its early occupation, probably not much later than 700. it was a royal Estate in 1066, but was alienated from the Crown by Henry 1.
The Parish originally included all the land as far as the sea, for Malborough, Salcombe, South Huish and South Milton were all chapelries of alvington. Ships would sail up the estuary and trade at Quay House (the trading Post for West Alvington). West Alvington was a market place anciently called Alfyngton being granted by John de Besil in 1270 the right to hold a market on Saturdays and a three day fair at the festival of St Michael.